Search for content in message boards

John Dorsey Tuck

John Dorsey Tuck

BHATHAWAY (View posts)
Posted: 29 Oct 2009 12:53AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Tuck, Chronister, Sanders, Taylor, Wilkinson
I'm trying to find out exactly who the parents are of John Dorsey Tuck (b. 1825). Supposedly, it is Eli Boyd Tuck and Prudence. However, a relative of John Dorsey has stated that this is not true. I read that John Dorsey had a fight with his family and was disowned then he moved away. I also read where Lenda Tuck stated that John Dorsey does not appear in any of the census records with Eli Boyd Tuck. But that too is normal for those census records in the early 1800s. Does anyone know the answer to this? I certainly don't.

Re: John Dorsey Tuck

LendaTuck84 (View posts)
Posted: 30 Oct 2009 12:47PM GMT
Surnames: TUCK
DOCUMENTS TO PROVE THAT JOHN D TUCK IS THE SON OF DAVID TUCK AND ELIZABETH DEWBERRY.
AS FOLLOWS:

Chancery Case 1836-041
Halifax County Virginia
Complaint:

To the worshipful Court of Halifax County in Chancery sitting humbly complaining shew unto your worships your orators and oratrix William Tuck, David Tuck, Edward Tuck and Henry Garret & Parthena his wife; that David Tuck the Elder formerly of the County of Halifax departed this life in the year ____ intestate, who was in his life time and at the time of his death seised of two several tracts of land situate and being in the county of Halifax aforesaid on the branches of the Hyco River and containing together about two hundred thirty six acres; that your orators and oratrix William, David, Edward and Parthena, and Wilmoth who married a certain Reuben Vaughn, Mary I. Tuck, Richard Tuck, Albert Tuck, Elizabeth J. Tuck and John D. Tuck are the children and heirs of the said David Tuck decd of whom the said Mary I., Richard, Albert, Elizabeth J., and John D. are under the age of twenty one years; the said decedent also left a widow Elizabeth surviving him who is entitled to dower in the said lands. Your orators and oratrix further represent to your worships that the said land if divided among the heirs of the said decedent would not be of the value of three hundred dollars to each of them. To the end therefore that the said Elizabeth Tuck the widow, the said Reuben Vaughn and Wilmoth his wife, and the said Mary J. Tuck, Richard Tuck, Albert Tuck, Elizabeth J. Tuck and John D. Tuck may be made defendants to this bill and required to answer the several allegations thereof, that they may say whether there be any good cause why the said lands should not be sold and the money arising from the sale thereof be divided among the heirs of said decedent; reserving however to the widow her right to dower in the same or a reasonable compensation therefore in money out of the proceeds of the sale. And that your orators and oratrix may have such other and farther relief as the case may require and to Equity may seem meet; May it please your worships to grant the Commonwealth’s writ of Subpoena &ce?
R. Logan (?)

Answer:

The answer of Elizabeth Tuck widow of David Tuck decd to the bill of complaint exhibited against her & others in the County Court of Halifax by William Tuck & others --- This respondent saving and reserving to herself all benefit of exceptions &ce for answer to the said bill or to so much herself as she is advised it is material for her to answer, says: that she admits the material allegations of the said bill to be true; she consents to the sale of the land in the bill mentioned for the purpose of a division agreeably to the prayer of the said bill, and is willing that this Court should make her such compensation out of the proceeds of the sale of said land for her right of dower in the same, as to it may seem just & reasonable; and having fully answered she prays to be hence dismissed with her costs &ce.

The answer of Mary I. Tuck, Richard Tuck, Albert Tuck, Elizabeth J. Tuck, John D. Tuck, who being infants answer by their guardian William Holt assigned to them by the court to defend them in this suit, to the bill of complaint exhibited against them & others in the County Court of Halifax by William Tuck and others. ____ These respondents saving and reserving to themselves all benefit of exceptions &ce for answer to the said bill or to so much thereof as they are advised it is material for them to answer, say: that they are willing that this Court should make such decree in this case as to it may seem just & equitable; and having fully answered they pray to be hence dismissed with their costs &ce.

The answer of Reuben Vaughn and Wilmoth his wife to the bill of complaint exhibited against them & others in the Court of Halifax by William Tuck & others.____ these respondents saving & reserving to themselves all benefits of exceptions &ce for answer to the said bill or to so much thereof as they are advised for them to answer, say: that they admit the material allegations of said bill to be true, and they are willing that this Court should make such decree in this case as to it may seem just & equitable; and having fully answered they pray to be hence dismissed with their costs &ce.

MORE DOCUMENTATIONS
Halifax County June Term 1835
William Tuck, David Tuck, Edward Tuck and Henry Garrett & Parthena Tuck his wife plaintiffs
Against in chy
Elizabeth Tuck widow of David Tuck decd, Reuben Vaughn and Wilmoth his wife, Mary I. Tuck, Richard Tuck, Albert Tuck, Elizabeth J. Tuck and John D. Tuck defendants.

William Holt is appointed Guardian ad litem of the infant defendants Mary I. Tuck, Rchd Tuck, Albert Tuck, Elizabeth, J. Tuck and John D. Tuck.

This cause came on this day to be heard, on the bill and answers of the defendants and examination of witnesses and was argued by counsel on consideration whereof the Court doth adjudge order and decree that Phaltiel Tuck, Irby Duberry, andWilliam Thaxton or any two of them who are hereby appointed commissioners for that purpose after having given reasonable notice of the same and place of sale by advertisement in the most public places in the neighborhood do sell to the highest bidder on a credit of twelve months, the lands of which David Tuck the Elder died seised lying in the County of Halifax, taking from the purchaser or purchasers bond with good security; and that they make report to this Court. ~

A Copy Teste
John A. M. Cravy DC

LendaTuck84 (View posts)
Posted: 30 Oct 2009 1:54PM GMT
Surnames: TUCK
Descendants of David Tuck

0 David Tuck b: June 14, 1786 in Halifax Co., VA
.. +Elizabeth Dewberry b: 1786 in Halifax Co., VA
.... 1 Edward Tuck b: Bet. 1805 - 1810 in Halifax Co VA
.... 1 Wilmouth Tuck b: July 15, 1809 in Halifax Co VA
........ +Reuben Vaughan b: 1803 in Halifax, Va
.... 1 William Tuck b: 1810 in Halifax Co. VA
........ +Louisa Lucy Jane Pinson b: 1818 in Halifax Va
.... 1 David Tuck b: Bet. 1810 - 1815 in Halifax Co VA
.... 1 Mary Isabell Tuck b: Bet. 1810 - 1815 in Halifax Co VA
.... 1 Albert Tuck b: Bet. 1815 - 1820 in Halifax Co VA
.... 1 Parthenia Tuck b: 1816 in Halifax County Va
........ +Henry William Garrett b: 1805 in Va
.... 1 Richard Bennett Tuck b: March 20, 1818 in Halifax Co VA
........ +Unknown b: in Va
.... *2nd Wife of Richard Bennett Tuck:
........ +Mary Ann Wyatt b: February 11, 1833 in Missouri
.... 1 Elizabeth (jane) Tuck b: 1823 in Halifax Co VA
........ +never married
.... 1 John D.Tuck b: 1825 in Halifax County Va
........ +Nancy Goen b: 1831 Ga.

BHATHAWAY (View posts)
Posted: 30 Oct 2009 3:19PM GMT
Surnames: Tuck, Chronister, Taylor, Sanders, Wilkinson
I appreciate this information. I had all the information you presented with David Tuck's descendants. I also had a John D. Tuck as one of his children. However, I have John Tuck married to Jane Goin instead of Nancy Goen. Could Nancy be Nancy Jane?
Also, other evidence that I found that indicated John Dorsey was not the son of Eli Boyd were marriage bonds between Eli Boyd and Prudence. That showed that Eli and Prudence were married in 1829 yet John Dorsey was born 1825.
I still feel this is not necessarily proof positive as John D. Tuck is not necessarily the same person as John Dorsey Tuck. But it is the best evidence presented so far and I will use it until someone proves otherwise. Thank you.

LendaTuck84 (View posts)
Posted: 30 Oct 2009 4:04PM GMT
CORRECTION:
The wife of John D Tuck is Jane Goen and not Nancy.
All the documents that I have where John signed his name was always John D. Tuck. The researcher that said he was Eli Boyd Tuck's son, gave him the name DORSEY. There is no proof anywhere that I know of with DORSEY being his middle name. I have other documentation on John D Tuck with his signature as being John D Tuck.
After David Tuck died, his family moved to Cowata County Georgia. In fact Parthenia Tuck married Henry Garrett in Cowata County Georgia.... May 20 1934
Also one of Wilmouth Tuck and Ruben Vaughn's children were born in Coweta County....
Actually, Coweta County is where my documented research began. All the documents that I have shared is in the Coweta Court house Administrator's Bonds Book B, page 83 (1836), regarding the estate of David Tuck, deceased. Part of that record reads as follows:
"...that we Edward Tuck, William Tuck, Abram Crowley, and David Tuck acknowledge ourselves jointly and severally bound unto the honorable the Justices of the Inferior Court of said county sitting as a Court of Ordinary...in the just and full sum of seven hundred dollars to the payment of which well and truly to be made we bind ourselves and the heirs and executors of us and each of us jointly and severally by these presents. Sealed with our seals and date this 15th day of November 1836.

"The condition of the above obligation is such that if the above bound Edward Tuck who was this day appointed Guardian of the person and property of Mary Tuck, Elizabeth Tuck, John D. Tuck, Richard Tuck, Albert Tuck, orphan children of David Tuck deceased, he acknowleding of the same by his acceptance of said quardianship of this...shall ...maintain clothe and educate said orphans according to their circumstances..."

BHATHAWAY (View posts)
Posted: 31 Oct 2009 3:33AM GMT
I'm so glad that you have given me this information. I have never seen anything to link John "Dorsey" Tuck to Eli Boyd Tuck and I've never found the name "Dorsey" either. Sounds like you've done some really good research using old fashioned leg work instead of the internet. While I like getting access to information on the internet, there are a zillion errors in that type of information. I spend a lot of time correcting my information and even the corrections I make could be wrong. Without proper documentation we can never be 100% sure that our data is absolutely correct.
However, based on your information I have made the corrections to John Dorsey Tuck. Hopefully, this is correct now. I would appreciate any other information you might have that I can use in this particular family.
Thanks. I appreciate it very much.

Re: John Dorsey Tuck-Richard -Willmoth tuck

ksuetuck1 (View posts)
Posted: 4 Nov 2009 1:00PM GMT
Lenda:
I am so excited that these documents have been located. I have suspected for years that my husbands grgrgrgrandfather Richard B. Tuck & grgrgraunt wilmoth tuck vaughan were childred of David & Elizabeth but have never found documentation.
I would like to obtain these documents. Would you please contact me so I can find out where to get these documents
Sue Tuck

Re: John Dorsey Tuck-Richard -Willmoth tuck

LendaTuck84 (View posts)
Posted: 4 Nov 2009 1:15PM GMT
Sue:
You can get these documents in The Coweta County Court House in Georgia. It would be Bonds Book B page 83, 1836, it was signed on November 15 1836
Also on the Chancery Case 1836-041 in the Halifax Court House Virginia. More documentation, look under the June Trem in 1835.
If you want more information on Richard B Tuck and sister Wilmouth please write to me at LendaTuck@aol.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions