Search for content in message boards

James Noble BEEBE, New London, CT to Erie, PA

James Noble BEEBE, New London, CT to Erie, PA

savedbyfaitha (View posts)
Posted: 22 Mar 2011 10:01PM GMT
Classification: Query
Looking for anyone who might recognize this name. James is my 2nd g-grandfather, b. Jan 1835 married 5 Mar 1874 in Erie, PA to Mary Elizabeth Dale b. Mar 1840 in Ireland. They lived in Erie, PA but James was born in New London according to his Naval records. Would like to find out more about his family but a military man in New London by the name of James Beebe is a dime a dozen. My family has no information on his CT family.

Kathy

Re: James Noble BEEBE, New London, CT to Erie, PA

lamadavis1 (View posts)
Posted: 12 Jun 2011 2:20AM GMT
Hi my name is George Davis and I was just on a site that gave the descendents of John Beebe. Went to Google Books, then typed in the descendents of John Beebe, that gave several sites you might have to go through a few to find the right one (because I forgot which specific one it was under.I copied off the first 5 generations and am pretty shure James was one in there. Good luck. My email is georgedvis@yahoo.com if you have any further questions.

carmelvows1 (View posts)
Posted: 25 Jul 2011 2:51AM GMT
Surnames: BEEBE, STEWARD, BECKWITH
There was a very large Beebe family in New London, CT.
You might try the local cemetery in New London area. I believe they have names listed on tombstones there. There are several cemeteries in the area. The Beebes were seafaring families. They came from Broughton,England.

My great grandfather was Captain David Beckwith Beebe. He married Nancy Steward in 1830 in New London. Many members of the Steward and Beebe families moved to Plano, Illinois, which is about 50 miles west of Chicago. Many Beebes and Stewards are buried in the Little Rock Township Cemetery, Plano, Illinois. You might try the cemetery listings there.

Posted: 6 Aug 2011 4:44PM GMT
Edited: 6 Aug 2011 4:46PM GMT
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I live in TN & won't be traveling to CT. I also know that my James is buried in Erie. I have noticed there are plenty of James Beebe's in CT. I do have some info on my James that my mother ordered. I'm almost sure he died in Erie, PA so I'm hoping when I order a death cert I'll know his parents' names. His male line ended as he married late & had only a daughter.

My mother left me her paperwork from NARA that outlined some of his Navy career. He enlisted at New London in 1847 at the age of 17 & retired at Erie in 1895 at the age of 64. The paperwork included his handwritten notes of all ships he served on, the years, and where he traveled. It all fits on ship histories that I've read about.

How fortunate that you've been able to track your family so far back. I'm guessing that maybe my James' parents may have been born 1800-1810. I've researched some Beebe history but just can't find a definite link. Will just keep searching ...

Thanks again!

carmelvows1 (View posts)
Posted: 6 Aug 2011 6:53PM GMT
The Beebe family came from Broughton,Northhampshire, England, which is near the border of Scotland. My niece visited there years ago. I believe the church she visited was St. Andrews, where the guest book shows many Beebe visitors from America. There are many Beebe's on the east coast of the U.S. They are a large family. I found the name of James Beebe, died April 22, 1728, in Danbury, CT. He was the son of John Beebe and Rebecca Ladd. He married Mary Boltwood October 24, 1668, in Hadley, Mass. The information I have is under the title of "Descendants of John Beebe." New London, CT is where most of them lived and died.

carmelvows1 (View posts)
Posted: 7 Aug 2011 8:51PM GMT
Surnames: BEEBE, LADD, BOLTWOOD
James Beebe is 8th child of John Beebe and Rebecca Ladd.
He married Mary Boltwood October 24, 1668 in Hadley,Mass.
Died April 22, 1728 in Danbury, CT.
PARENTS OF JAMES BEEBE:
John Beebe was born about 1602 in Northhampshire, England. He died May 1650 in Onboard Ship to New England. In 1627 he married Rebecca Ladd in England, daughter of Robert Ladd. She was born October 30, 1602 in Broughton, Northhampshire, England, and died in 1650.

susanbecher (View posts)
Posted: 8 Aug 2011 3:53AM GMT
Good luck with getting James' parents' names on his death certificate. James shows up in three of the U.S. census records in Erie, Pa, and interestingly his birth date varies slightly in several. In 1870, he is listed as James N. Beebe (Ancestry picked up the middle initial incorrectly as a "Y")on page #1. James' date of birth was given as 1831. In 1880, he can be found in the Erie district #145 on page 45,listed along with his wife Mary and daughter Mary E. His age that year was given as 45, indicating a birth date of 1835. By the census of 1900, James was retired from the water and was working as a church janitor. A birth year of 1835 shows in that census. Between the census years of 1900 and 1910, James dies and Mary is listed as a widow. On records where both a year and date for James' birth appear, Jan. of 1835 seems consistent. Since at least the census of 1900, James and family has been living at a home they own, 544 Fifth (or East Fifth) Street, Erie. If the death certificate doesn't pan out, I would look at their home purchase, as well as check area churches for marriage and birth information. Witnesses and Godparents can be great info. sources. Additionally, checking out small area newspapers might yield an obituary that could fill in some of the gaps. Good luck.

susanbecher (View posts)
Posted: 8 Aug 2011 4:56AM GMT
Hi again. Just a possibility that might be legit, but possibly never provable. If James' middle name was Noble, I would wonder if he might be a son of Thaddeus Beebe and Syble Noble of the New London/Waterford area. Thaddeus was the son of Simeon Beebe and Jerusha Maynard and was mentioned in a line entry in the Waterford Town book dated May 3, 1813. The town "bound out a poor boy by the name of Thaddeus Beebe (by the request of his grandfather, Mr. Stephen Maynard) to Charles Hill of Montville."Waterford Town book, 1801-1834. Stephen Maynard mentioned as grandfather to the young boy, was the Stephen, son of David and Rebekah, who married a Sarah Fitch in New London on 11 Jan 1764. Their daughter Jerusha was apparently born on 24 Aug 1768 and her age would be appropriate for Thaddeus' birth by about 1800. Thaddeus and Syble (Noble) Beebe did have a son Samuel Ira born abt. 1824. James Noble Beebe could conceivably have been Samuels' sibling. Anyway, just a thought, and good luck again.

Posted: 8 Aug 2011 9:37PM GMT
Susan, thanks for the tips. I do have the census records you mentioned. I do wonder about James' DOB too. The date I have is listed on his wife's application for a widow's pension.

And oh, I have a copy of an old photo of his wife Mary standing in front of their house at 544 E 5th! It was part of my mother's collection. I never thought to look into the home purchase. I do know when & where he was baptized as an adult so thank you for mentioning that also.

Posted: 8 Aug 2011 9:41PM GMT
I've thought often about his middle name being his mother's maiden name! Just couldn't figure where to start searching. Thank you so much!! Where do you get all this info? You must have a giant book :)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions