Search for content in message boards

John Thomas ROBSON Missing in Birth Records/Census Records?

John Thomas ROBSON Missing in Birth Records/Census Records?

grifftryon (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jan 2012 12:42AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: ROBSON/SMITH
I am looking for one John Thomas Robson (or Robison/Robinson) who on his marriage record in Glasgow, Scotland in 1918 said his parents were Thomas Robson (horsedealer dec.) and Frances Smith (dec.). John died in Toronto, Canada in 1943 at age of 53 years. He should show up in the birth records in England. His father, Tom was believed in be in Birmingham, England. John apparently had older siblings that were quite a few years older than him (closest being about 5-10 years) from what the present family remembers being told. On his ship records coming to Canada he said he was born in Hull, Yorkshire. But in his obituary it stated he last was in Hull, Yorkshire before coming over.
I am now pondering his mother's last name he gave is wrong.

If anyone sees this person anywhere in a record in England for birth please let me know.
Thanks,
Dan
Canada

Re: John Thomas ROBSON Missing in Birth Records/Census Records?

warncoort1 (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jan 2012 1:16AM GMT
Have you checked BMD or census returns?
who wrote his obit,did they know him well?

grifftryon (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jan 2012 1:29AM GMT
I have checked some BMD records i can find that isn't just the index like all is available online. I used findmypast website for just was there. The only thing i can summarize is his mother's last name maybe wrong. It's difficult when the family can't tack down where the he came from. Like I mentioned he stated he was born in Hull, Yorkshire but on obituary (by his wife) it said he was last from Hull. They also said that he had lived a while after his father's death with his mother.
I have checked census records, but what it may take is looking at actual Births in the British Archives but undoable from here. If even his parents could be found would be a start, I have been combing the records that are available online (i have memberships to numerous major websites but no luck). I even looked at Robison like his name was misspelled as on ship records and even Robinson.

warncoort1 (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jan 2012 2:48PM GMT
There are 15 entries on freebmd for John Thomas between 88 and 92,have you discounted all these?Does he not appear in any census?Have you looked to track his parent's marriage?

grifftryon (View posts)
Posted: 6 Jan 2012 2:26AM GMT
I have checked freeBMD for all John Thomas Robson/Robison/Robinson with no luck. Haven't had any luck with his parent's names and a marriage record there either. This family is the biggest mystery I have ever encountered. My friend's family and there was little know about John and his parent's and even siblings was a mystery. He said he was in WW1 and was in the first gas attacks in 1916 in France he was repatriotized (something like that)back to England when he was injured on the forearm (missing a chunk of skin).

warncoort1 (View posts)
Posted: 6 Jan 2012 9:26AM GMT
If he served in WW1 there will be records available,just google.

grifftryon (View posts)
Posted: 8 Jan 2012 6:01AM GMT
Google was no help, I have paysite's but with little known to pin down which is him is next to impossible.
FREEBMD is no help with births they have as they don't show parent's names.
England needs a website like scotland's people so you can order the record you need and get right away.

The Mystery Continues,
Thanks for any help,
Dan

warncoort1 (View posts)
Posted: 10 Jan 2012 1:21AM GMT
This site didn't come up on google search?
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/
I believe you can specify parents names etc when you order certificates from GRO.
Again,you will need to trace his parents marriage and eliminate those from BMD.
Also being on a paysite doesn't guarantee results,you still have to carry out extensive searches,as this is what genealogy is all about.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions