Search for content in message boards

Anthony Clifford from New Hampshire to Ohio

Anthony Clifford from New Hampshire to Ohio

Rich Clifford (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jan 2013 1:25AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Clifford
Does anyone have any information on the Clifford's that possibly moved from New Hampshire to Ohio? Specifically, I am looking for a Anthony Clifford that was born in 1775 supposedly in NH and passed around 1845 in Ohio. I believe his wife was Isabel Barnhart.

Re: Anthony Clifford from New Hampshire to Ohio

grnfldoh (View posts)
Posted: 7 May 2013 6:47PM GMT
Surnames: Clifford
in the 1880 census of Pike county, Camp Creek, Ohio, David stated his father was born in New Hampshire and mother born in Germany. I believe this to be the reason her name was misspelled on the marriage papers.

Posted: 7 May 2013 7:47PM GMT
Surnames: Clifford, Cliford, Clefford
Thank you for the reply! I am glad to see someone is still reading these. I looked at the 1880 census, but I am not sure where David came from in your reply. I was looking for Anthony and his spouse Isbal. Can you elaborate? Thanks for your assistance.

cliffotd764 (View posts)
Posted: 8 May 2013 3:29AM GMT
David was one of Anthony's sons who married someone from Pike county. This county is next to Scioto co. Henry married Sarah Lockart in 1830 from this county and Luke married Elizabeth, I have her as a Lockhart and another researcher has her as Macfarland. Luke and Elizabeth were living next to Isaac Lockhart in the 1850 census of Pike county. In 1860 they were living next door to my great grandfather John a. Clifford who was living with his first wife, Delitha (Allettia) Lockhart in Nile twnshp, Scioto county. Luke was killed during the civil war at Champion Hill, Vicksburg. Johns wife committed adultery and divorced her after the war.

Posted: 8 May 2013 3:09PM GMT
Surnames: Clifford/Cliford/Clefford
Thank you for your reply. I do not have David as a child of Anthony Clifford c.1770 and Isbal c.1780. I do have Anthony's son, Henry being married to a Sarah Lockhart though. I show Henry being from VA? I do have a census that states he said he was from VA, but i show no one else in my lineage being from VA that i am aware of. So I am thinking that maybe Henry was born in the Virginia Military District of Ohio and there is where they got VA?? Anthony Clifford is my 4th great-grandfather. It sounds like we are pretty much on the same lineage path, I would to compare notes if that is possible?

Thank you, Rich

grnfldoh (View posts)
Posted: 8 May 2013 8:12PM GMT
Rich, my name is Kenneth Clifford. We corresponded in the past. I have Anthony's as follows.Sarah, married John Walsinger, Nov. 1 1820. Isabel was living with her in 1850, age 70. John married Melinda Hodges Jan. 13, 1829. Henry married Sarah Lockhart feb. 4, 1830 Pike co. David married Nancy. E lisha married Susannah Hodges Aug 16, 1832. Levi born 1820 married Jane Heller. Luke married Elizabeth Macfarland July 6 1850. I still need to find my notes. I have David as marrying Nancy MacFarland and Luke Elizabeth Betsie Lockhart. In 1850 Pike co., Luke and Elizabeth were living next to Isaac Lockhart.

Posted: 9 May 2013 2:28AM GMT
Surnames: Clifford/Cliford/Clefford
Hi Ken. Great hearing from you again. I appreciate your replies to my questions. I pretty much have everything you have except David marrying Nancy, Levi and Jane Heller and Luke and Elizabeth. Are David, Levi and Luke other sons of Anthony and Isabel? And you think Isabel's parents are from Germany? She is elusive. Except for that marriage certificate of hers and Anthony's. I hope we can share more!

grnfldoh (View posts)
Posted: 2 Feb 2014 3:59AM GMT
Luke married Macfarland
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions