Clay, Stewart, Gunnoe

Jenny (View posts)
Posted: 12 Jun 2001 11:01AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 28 Jan 2002 6:45AM GMT
Surnames: Stewart, Clay, Gunnoe, Belcher
Body of Message:

Hi,

I'm researching my illegitimate Grandfather George Stewart his father was a Henry P. Stewart. I have been told that
Henry P. Stewart is the son of Robert E. Stewart and (Martha Davis or Burgess or Malinda Ball).
He is the grandson of Sarah Stewart and Henry J. Clay. Sarah and Henry never married each other but it is said she
remarried Daniel Gunnoe in 1814 or 1815. This marriage took place in Monroe Co. WV. Sally and
Daniel are the ancestors of all the Gunnoes of WV. Their home was near Newport, KY not far from Cincinnati,
Ohio.

Sarah is daughter of Ralph Clay and Mary O. Clay born 1795.

Henry J. Clay is son of Mitchell Clay and Phoebe Belcher

I'm wondering if you know of any information that might help me in my
research.
Thank you for your time.

Re: Clay, Stewart, Gunnoe

JLittle235 (View posts)
Posted: 4 Jul 2001 4:53AM GMT
Edited: 28 Jan 2002 6:47AM GMT
Surnames: Gunnoe, Stewart
Hi I have some info on Daniel H Gunnoe and Sarah Stewart. Well as for Sarah's parents. As for Daniel's I dont know. If you think this info would help please email me at BransonFan@yahoo.com.

Re: Clay, Stewart, Gunnoe

JGUNNOE4333 (View posts)
Posted: 20 Mar 2002 3:27AM GMT
Edited: 20 Mar 2002 6:06AM GMT
Surnames: Gunnoe, Stewart, Clay, Hicks
John Guno/Ganoe/Gunnoe was the first Gunnoe the area which is now West Virginia. His sons, including Daniel, lived in various counties in Virginia/West Virginia. Daniel married Sarah Stewart (daughter of Ralph Stewart and Mary Clay). Sally had a child, Robert E. Stewart, before she married Daniel Ganoe/Gunnoe. Robert's father is reportedly Henry Clay, a neighbor. Danie and Sally had four children:

Ralph
John
Andrew Jackson
Mary"Polly"

Sally died at the age of 24. She may have died giving birth to Mary or from complications, since she died the same year that Mary was born.

Daniel later married Eliza Hicks.

I descend from John Ganoe/Gunnoe, Daniel and Sally's son.
The Daniel that you have living in Kentucky is not the same as the Daniel that married Sally Stewart. Daniel and Sally lived their entire life in Giles/Wyoming County. The other Daniel is also the son of John but I have the dates of his birth and his marriages. These two Daniels are NOT the same.

Please e-mail me for more information at jgunnoe@aol.com. I have the documentation.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions