Search for content in message boards

Kitchen family Canada

Kitchen family Canada

Margriet Kitchen (View posts)
Posted: 10 Nov 2006 8:18AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Kitchen, Rancin, Rankin
Hello: Does anyone have any information at all about Jonathan Kitchen, (I believe born in 1829....) and his wife Phoebe Rancin (Rankin), who lived in the Simcoe area of Ontario in the 1840's till late 1800's. They had 4 or 5 sons and one daughter.
Their grandson, Andrew Miller Kitchen is my husband's grandfather. My research till now has been limited to go as far as Jonathan and Phoebe, with no record yet found of their marriage or birth dates, or information on their parents.
Common names in the family are: Robert, Jonathan, Louis, Charles, Phoebe, Andrew. In the Canadian census records they are recorded as German (Pennsylvania Dutch) origin, so it is likely they came up to the northern shores of Lake Erie in the late 1700's early 1800's, but whether Jonathan came alone, as part of a family, or with brothers or cousins, I haven't yet determined. Or if he was simply born in Ontario.
If anyone has any possible connection information, please contact me. This is coming up to the 20th year of my search for this branch of the family, and it would be so nice to complete it.
Thanks. Margriet Kitchen

Re: Kitchen family Canada

Bob Kitchen (View posts)
Posted: 12 Nov 2006 12:38AM GMT
One thing is certain. If the name is Kitchen, they are English, not Pa. Dutch! There was an early settlement in Bucks Co., Pa., perhaps among the Dutch. Most likely they arrived in Central Pa. in the movement of Kitchens from N.J., 1790-1797. Land was sought in Canada because some of the Kitchens had been Loyalists (loyal to England). My own gr. gr. gr. grandfather continued west to Ohio, rather than head north with other Kitchens.

Posted: 13 Nov 2006 9:23AM GMT
Hi, Bob:
Thanks for your quick response to my query. The reason that I am following the possible PA lead is that the family's spoken history includes the information that the family were Pennsylvania Dutch, and in addition, the Canadian Census from 1861 on includes the family as German or Pennsylvania Dutch. There is some record of a Kitchen man marrying into a Pennsylvania Dutch family, and that was also a possible lead, but there has been no connection as yet to that branch coming up to Canada. As you also stated, some of the Kitchens came to Canada as U.E.'s and that too had been long included in the family verbal history. You can see how sometimes a little too much information might be misleading. There are fairly complete records of the UE's that came into south western Ontario by the name of Kitchen, but as yet, I have not been able to verify the names of the parents of Jonathan Kitchen, born in an unknown place, in approximately 1829, nor of the parents of his wife, Phoebe, who was a few years younger. This genealogy thing is a real pleasure to take part in, as I follow the many leads of all the branches of my husband's family. Hopefully this thread, between 1800-1840 will also one day be complete.
Thanks again. Marg. Kitchen

Bob Kitchen (View posts)
Posted: 15 Nov 2006 2:37AM GMT
Hi Marg,
Is there any chance that the birth date for Jonathan Kitchen could be off by ten years? I assume that you are aware of Richard & Hannah Kitchen, who were in South Dumfries (Canada) by 1840 or before. In the 1851 Census at Charlottesville, Richard's son (Hannah had died) was 12 years old. That would mean he was born about 1839. Jonathan had brothers Wheeler and John. Not the right family?
Bob Kitchen

Bob Kitchen (View posts)
Posted: 15 Nov 2006 2:44AM GMT
Oops!....My mistake. Hannah died in 1857.
Bob Kitchen

carol kitchen (View posts)
Posted: 16 Nov 2006 2:09AM GMT
hi bob would you have any info on a james kitchen born 1852 in n. b. married margaret mccormick b. 1857 in newcastle n. b. Samual and catherine kitchen of prince william were james parents . after margarets death in 1882 he married sarah barry from newcastle . where did they go is my brick wall for so many years hope you can help or suggest an other direction i could try. thanks for any help carol

Bob Kitchen (View posts)
Posted: 16 Nov 2006 2:49PM GMT
Hi Carol,
The only possible link that I have is this: Samuel Kitchen, who was born Dec. 3rd, 1832 in Ancaster (Is that B.C.?), died in Saginaw, Michigan. He was a well-known Dr. I have no listing of his children. Could he have been father of James?
Bob Kitchen

Posted: 16 Nov 2006 5:11PM GMT
Surnames: Kitchen
Hi, Bob & Carol (just Ted & Alice missing!):
Bob, Ancaster is in south western Ontario, the area where the United Empire Loyalists and such came north from the States in the late 1700's early 1800's.
Hope that this might help Carol. Happy hunting.
The Kitchen you found that had a John and a Jonathan, that Jonathan would have been too young to have had the sons that our Jonathan had, starting in the late 1840's.
Margriet.

abblumreich (View posts)
Posted: 13 Oct 2010 3:50PM GMT
I am a descendent of William (born 1815) and Catherine (born 1819) Kitchen, who were also in the Simcoe area. Family lore, and census records, have them being originally from Pennsylvania (Penn. Dutch). Their son Francis was my maternal grandmother's grandfather. She is still living and insists he always considered himself to be of German heritage.
I'm wondering if my William an older brother or uncle to your Jonathan.
I am trying to trace the family back to the US. If it helps, Catherine's maiden name was either Wyles or Warren.
I've been corresponding with another descendent who still lives in the are, so maybe I can help you too.

Thanks,
Amy Tarnacki

MargrietKitchen (View posts)
Posted: 19 Oct 2010 12:58AM GMT
Hello Amy:
Thank you for your e-mail. It is possible that William and Jonathan are related. Jonathan was born at Ancaster in 1824/7 depending on what resource you check. I recently found through the Death Certificate of Jonathan, that his parents' names were Henry B. Kitchen and Mary Drake. After that it was pretty easy to follow the family trail back to New Jersey/Pennsylvania, and then on back to England. That particular part of the search had gone on for over 20 years. I just recently joined Ancestry.com after an Ancestry.ca 3 month trial, and have found some great leads. Good luck with your search, and we'd be happy to hear back on how it's going.

Margriet Kitchen
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions