Search for content in message boards

Suggestions for FTM 2014

Suggestions for FTM 2014

cottrellte (View posts)
Posted: 17 May 2013 4:50AM GMT
Classification: Query
A friend and I were discussing how helpful it would be to have a way to enter information temporarily into FTM. This item would be highlighted in a different color, e.g., green or red, so that it would stand out from other data. When we were able to verify this information, we could click a button that would make the information "permanent" in our file. The different coloring would also "remind" us that we need to do some work on that item.

Often, I find myself writing things down in a notebook that I want to double-check or verify before adding it to my tree in FTM. As genealogist, we all know how easy it is to get sidetracked when researching and forgetting to go back and further check someone. With my suggestion, there would be a reminder that we need to verify something on an item.

Re: Suggestions for FTM 2014

LJCzarnik (View posts)
Posted: 17 May 2013 6:16AM GMT
Hey, sounds like a neat idea. In some way can do that with tasks / to do, but your idea sounds much 'nicer".

I'd be happy with a Sync that worked ALL THE TIME.

Just added 1 picture and 1 name and changed 2 other names and added sources [Yippee!].

Sync "processed" but NONE of it is in the AMT!

Can't count the number of times we have "rebuilt" the AMT from our FTM at the recommendation of the support people.

FLAME OFF.

Seriously - more detail, control and recoverability in the sync process.

Larry
2013MY16 16:15
Sydney Australia

chris_rickaby (View posts)
Posted: 21 May 2013 5:36PM GMT
I use the task pane for this. Add a task to an individual or create a more general one. I do like the idea of colour coding though - perhaps the colour highlighting could indicate which people have tasks attached - and make it able to be switched on and off easily.

I would like to be able to show when a couple had no children - I can add a note but it would be nice if it would show in the main people view e.g. display "No issue" in the list of children.

Barbara Taylor (View posts)
Posted: 23 May 2013 12:44AM GMT
Larry,
I created a thread titled "Successful Sync Tips" at http://boards.ancestry.com/topics.software.famtreemaker/9684...
Mine is finally working after 6 months of very painful non-working.

Barbara

keithnuttle (View posts)
Posted: 23 May 2013 10:38AM GMT
If we are dreaming, it would be nice to have multiple windows, such that you could look at the family or person view of one family and then open a second window with another family, so you could compare the information .

lbragg (View posts)
Posted: 23 May 2013 2:20PM GMT
Barbara, what a beautiful idea! I have long thought it would be great to have a home for this kind of information. Other topics could include Best Data Practices, cleaning up up your data,known bugs and work arounds. Ideally here where FTM could easily comb through for ideas and improvements, but not necessarily here.

Thanks for sharing! Lori

LJCzarnik (View posts)
Posted: 23 May 2013 3:47PM GMT
Barbara,

Thanks. Most I already implement, but there are a few twists that might help.

Regards,
Larry
2013MY24 01:45 Sydney

LJCzarnik (View posts)
Posted: 23 May 2013 3:59PM GMT
I thought I might be a bit more specific about one request.

A changes audit trail. Optional, but a note of each change, addition or deletion. This way one would have an audit trail to assist in recovery.

Larry
2013MY24 02:00 Sydney

Barbara Taylor (View posts)
Posted: 23 May 2013 4:16PM GMT
Larry,
There is a change log available when you sync. It could be improved and there are bugs in it; it's a start.

Barbara

jnye042 (View posts)
Posted: 23 May 2013 6:17PM GMT
Yes, but unless you catch it when it pops up it disappears forever and is can never be of any help. Why can't it be saved each time or at least pause indefinitely until acknowledged?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions