Germans from Russia:WALTER & KRAUSE

DSM_Kid (View posts)
Posted: 8 May 2010 7:50PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Walter, Krause, Schneberger

Christine(a) Alice Walter
* Birth 11 Oct 1862 in Worms, Odessa, Russia
Death 19 Jun 1948 in Chariton, Lucas, Iowa

Her father was Jakob Walter and her mother was Jakobina (unknown). They lived in Worms, Odessa, Russia during the German colonization by Katherine the Great. Christine later married Gottlieb Krause in the US (another ethnic German immigrant).

Arrived in the US on 1 Sep 1874 aboard the S.S. Schiller, where they departed with other ethnic Germans in Russia at the port in Hamburg, Germany to set sail to New York Harbor (with her parents and siblings). Christina Walter was 11 years old at arrival. They migrated west with the family to Bon Homme County in what was then Dakota Territory (now South Dakota). They spoke German as their mother tongue and lived in mostly German communities here in the States. Same year of naturalization in the US claimed by her husband Gottlieb Krause per the 1920 US Federal Census in Glenn, Walworth, South Dakota.

One of their children was Sophia Geraldine Alice Krause, Birth 31 Aug 1900 in Naper, Boyd, Nebraska Death 28 May 1968 in Des Moines, Polk, Iowa. She married first Melvin Monroe Morris, and then Vladimir "Jack" Schneberger (although subsequent marriages are also possible).

I see a lot about other Walter descendants on this board, but I have never seen any of this line of Walter's. Anyone with possible connections to these Walter's (or Krause's) I'd like to hear from.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
DSM_Kid 9 May 2010 1:50AM GMT 
twister241 12 Jun 2011 8:13PM GMT 
TMP_80 24 Jun 2011 5:28PM GMT 
twister241 26 Jun 2011 7:24PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions