Search for content in message boards

Old Gullett letters from 1969

Replies: 2

Old Gullett letters from 1969

Judy Hugg Grimes (View posts)
Posted: 25 Aug 2004 1:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello Gullett, In 1969 I received some letters from a Gullett researcher in Ransom, Kansas. They are still in my files and I have thought to type them for the list. I will do portions of each letter,adding only the genealogy.

You will note that she did not give all sources but just sent data that might connect my small Gullett knowledge to hers. Maybe it will help some of you-all? This was before computers & copy machines in every home.

Letter one:
" REVA BELLE KLITZKE, I was born 1901. I am a retired school teacher and wife of a farmer. We had five children and three died at birth.
*My mother was MARGERY GULLETT KLITZKE & father born OHIO.
*The name of my grandfather was: ANDREW N GULLETT born Virginia and he had a brother WILLIAM GULLETT also in Ohio.
*Wife of ANDREW N. GULLETT was MARY (BELL)b.Ohio.Logan Co.
*Children of Andrew and Mary Bell Gullett were:
JOSEPH, PETER, SUSAN AND ELIZNA

*The father of ANDREW N. GULLETT was ANDREW JACKSON GULLETT OF VIRGINIA:
*The wife of Andrew Jackson GULLETT was named MARY, their children being : SARAH
FRANCIS GULLETT, RHEENA GULLETT, JOHN GULLETT AND SAMUEL GULLETT."

Note: to help date this family? IF the guy was named for the President of the USA? those dates are:
Seventh President1829-1837-Andrew JACKSON
Born: March 15, 1767 in Waxhaw, South Carolina.
Died: June 8, 1845 at the Hermitage near Nashville, Tennessee.

(note from Judy: I wondered if this SARAH FRANCIScould be the girl called "SALLY" Gullett, sister of Reese Gullett, who married a SIZEMORE man .

Letter 2:
"From records in Salt Lake City Library 1967.
*There was a marriage in COlumbia Tennessee, JAMES GULLETT married PATIENCE KNIGHT in 1810.
*GEORGE GULLETT here, too in 1820 with 8 children, Murry Co.
*SOLOMON GULLETT, in Lincoln Co. in 1810"

Letter 3:
"I do have some Coffee County,TN Gullett's. I'll send them if you are interested? These are all from North Carolina, Craven County, NC.1749,JOHN GULLETT'S will, sons: JOHN, PATTERSON, ANDERSON, AND MOSES. There was
a will probated May 17, 1749.

Did I tell you that my great grandmother's name was FRANCIS NICKELLS?"

Letter 4:
"Dear Judy, I had my bank make a copy for you of this record: I now am sure that WILLIAM GULLETT b.1808 of MONROE County, VIRGINIA who married FRANCIS NICKELLS are my great great grandparents. They left Virginia about 1823 and they bought land in Logan County, Ohio in 1829. I haven't been able to find the names of their children. I had a letter this week from Memphis and they said there were 17 Gulletts in the phone book."( 1969)

"REESE GULLETT was one of the first that I found and his pension file number is R 4383, File at National Archives, Washington DC. "

(note from Judy-I applied for and received the file of Reese Gullett Sr. and Reese Gullett Jr and papers on William Thomas Gullett and his wives. Also, Records on some of the children: those who billed the government for care as well as nursing bills from a daughter in law, burial records, Birth Records, Marriage records, Bible Records, Deaths, pension applications, legal papers of courts, testimonies, and cost in 1969 was$1.50."(so that file number was very important!)

Letter 5:
*"In 1847 a Gullett(Peter?) operated a stage line from COlumbia to Bolmer.(TN?)

*In Coffee there is a SAMUEL, SOLOMUN AND GEORGE GULLETT IN NORTH CAROLINA.

1860 census- SAMUEL GULLETTS WIFE IS MARSHA GULLETT
children:
JAMES, JEFFERSON, NANCY, CHARLES, REBECCA, DAVID, SHAY OR DAVID SHAY, AND
ALBERT.
* Nancy Gullett married Edward Jett.
*Rebecca Gullett married Granville Morgan,
*James Gullett married Mary E. Winfred in 1869 COFFEE COUNTY,
*R.H.(?) married Mary Douglas,
*William Albert Gullett married Elizabeth SMITH."

Note from Judy: This is a puzzler for me-because Reese Gullett Jr.'s wife was Eady MORGAN.

Could Rebecca Gullett Morgan be a cousin to granville j. gullett and his siblings ?(including William Thomas Gullett?) and her husband a relative: to Eady Morgan Gullett?
This Morgan/Gullett connection is most interesting.

Reese's son: William Thomas Gullett named a son: Granville J. Gullett.

Letter six:
"We spent our vacation in Kentucky, visiting many Gullett cousins there.

There was one, WILLIAM GULLETT who married a widow: MRS.SEWELL and she was also his second wife. He adopted her Sewell children legally and so that means that many of the KY Gulletts were really Sewells in blood.

Our motel from the trip was: on west Liberty, Kentucky was on Gullett Main street. AS we entered Daniel Boone Forrest there was a Gullett Plaza (But, I don't think they are my line).

There was a JESSE GULLETT from Salsbury District in Virginia that was in the REV.War. and about 15 years after the war, he moved from VA to Tennessee and then to Alabama. (could Jesse Gullett and Reese Gullett Sr. be brothers?)

(Letter continues)
I have a D.A.R. record that shows a book: You might check it out if you can locate a library with a copy? History of Alabama-1921 by T.M. Owens.
The Gullett Family volume three, page 712." "

Note from Judy: I have never been able to find this little book.
The writer of these letters, Reva Belle Klitzke of Ransom Kansas died long ago. She had two sons and was a school teacher and most kind and dedicated.

Any help with Nickells or Gullett most appreciated.
Judy
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Judy Hugg Grimes 25 Aug 2004 7:51PM GMT 
margaretreed224 9 Aug 2007 11:37PM GMT 
kristinelholmes 21 Jun 2011 10:49PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions