Search for content in message boards

Harriet Burley d/o Cyrus Burley and Eliza Bertrim

Replies: 41

Re: Darius Babcock and unknown wife Catherine

NoraMcL (View posts)
Posted: 2 Sep 2008 7:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Babcock, Tryon, Burley, Peters, Schryver, Clement, Dawson, Hutchison, Hutchinson, Cook, Bennett
To Lisa and Linda and others researching any Darius Babcock's of Ontario....

I have never had anyone put me in a tailspin like the Darius you are talking about. I have never been able to figure out these families despite hours of concentration and some research.

Darius and Catherine are on the 1851 Portland census:

Darius Babcock age 30 born Ont.
Catherine age 30 born Ont.
Samantha age 12
Ira age 7
Robert age 6
Ruth age 2

Ira is the same Ira Babcock you are talking about. He married Martha Peters on March 30, 1863 in Frontenac County. She was the d/of Silas Peters and Mary Burley.

Whose son was Harry Charlton I wonder? You are right, he may have made a mistake about Ira's mother being a Burley, because Ira's wife's mother was a Burley. On the other hand, she may have been a Burley as well. The transcription for Darius's son George Babcock's first marriage to Jane Clement states George's mother to be "Catherine Busbey", which could be Burley. I don't think I was able to view the original marriage reg., will check that again to see if it is online.

I could not find any info about Samantha Babcock daughter of Darius and Catherine, does anyone know what hap. to her? She was born about 1839.

Ditto for son Robert Babcock, but I have not been that aggresive about tracking him down. He was born about 1845.

Daughter Ruth married John Wesley Solomon Schryver on Feb. 7, 1870, had daughter Catherine Elizabeth Schryver on Aug. 15, 1871, and died that same year. John Schryver re-married to Ann Amelia Peters who was another daughter of Silas Peters and his wife Mary Burley.

I would love to find Darius and Catherine and kids on the 1861 census, I have no idea where they were....another son George Babcock was born about March 10, 1854; he is the one who was married first to Jane Agnes Clement and then second to a gal named Mary Dawson, a widow (date of second marriage was April 14, 1897). Same George is on 1881 census with brother IRA in South Fredericksburgh.

Plus another son was born about May 15, 1855: Seth Babcock who married Margaret Hutchison or Hutchinson on May 14, 1877. Seth and Margaret were also in 1881 South Fred. and then in 1891 and 1901 Hillier, Prince Edward County, as was his brother IRA Babcock, but as you have pointed out Linda, under surname COOK.

There could be more children in this Babcock family that I haven't accounted for yet, born after 1855.

In regards to the name change....Ira and Seth still went by Babcock in 1881 but by 1891 had changed their last name. If you are trying to pinpoint some heinous crime, my guess is that it happened sometime in that ten year period. I did find a death reg. for a David Babcock at Napanee, "found dead in Prison Yard"....born at Ernestown, I cannot make out his correct age on the death reg., could be 18, or 48 or 78 years....died about May 20 1887. Informant was the Chief of Police at Napanee.

If he was 18, born about 1869
If he was 48, born about 1839
If he was 78, born about 1809.....

Was this strange death the catalyst for the Babcock surname change? Who was the David Babcock above? Was he in prison, or working at the prison, or...his body was just found there under strange circumstances?

In regards to Darius Babcock, widower of Catherine....she died in 1879 at age 61 years. That puts her yob at about 1818. I ASSUME that the Darius Babcock who is at Bath in 1881 is same man. I think his listed age put his yob at about 1813. You said his death was recorded at Hillier in 1905 and I think he was listed at being 90 years old.

However....he is listed in 1891 at Trenton, Hastings County at age 80 years with a second wife Ellener age 63 years. I cannot find the maiden name of this woman, it has made me nuts all day today. Darius is living in same home as his now widowed son George Babcock and George's five young children, including Catherine age 12, Hannah age 9, a baby son John age 7 months, a child whose name I cannot make out who is 7, and a son George age 3 years.

In 1901 George is in Trenton again now re-married to Mary nee Dawson with a little daughter Marion Babcock born Aug. 4, 1898. Darius and second wife Ellener are also in Trenton, their ages and dates of birth listed here:

1901 Trenton in Hastings County West:

32 98 Babcock Daniel M Head M Nov 14 1806 94
33 98 Babcock Ellen F Wife M May 15 1815 85
34 98 Bennet Hannah F Daughter W Aug 21 1879 21
35 98 Bennet William M Son S Jul 12 1899 1

The original page reads DARIUS Babcock not Daniel; plus note that William Bennett was Hannah's son, NOT Darius's son. Hannah is Darius Babcock's grand-daughter Hannah nee Babcock, daughter of George Babcock and his first wife Jane Clement. I didn't look yet to see if her husband had died. She was married in 1897 to (possibly) Alvin Bennett. But gadzooks- look at Darius's age and dob- 94 years, born in 1806. This does not jive with him being born about 1821.

Now for the head spinning part....I see that some researchers have included as siblings to Ira, Ruth, Robert, George, Samantha and Seth....some of the children that I have in my files as belonging to Darius Smith Babcock who was born about 1808. I spent most of the day today trying to make sure that Darius Smith Babcock and Darius Babcock who became COOK..were two different men. I am still not sure because I cannot find a date of death for Darius Smith Babcock. The last I can account for him and his (second) wife Anna nee Tryon is in 1891 at Sombra, Lambton County, Ont. Because I can find him there in 1891 and in Kent County in 1881, I lean towards them NOT being the same person, but I sure would like a dod for Darius Smith Babcock and places of burial for the two men.

I have to take a break, anyone with additional info or questions, please post here.

Nora
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
KellieMLove 25 Oct 2002 1:52AM GMT 
anynameisok 19 Apr 2003 5:21PM GMT 
KellieMLove 20 Apr 2003 1:12PM GMT 
realcorker2006 10 Oct 2007 2:15AM GMT 
anynameisok 10 Oct 2007 3:11AM GMT 
realcorker2006 10 Oct 2007 2:33PM GMT 
LindaN94 25 Apr 2008 12:49PM GMT 
lisaraija 1 Sep 2008 8:07PM GMT 
LindaN94 1 Sep 2008 10:43PM GMT 
NoraMcL 3 Sep 2008 1:48AM GMT